Process materials required for manufacture of acetylene from limestone:
- Calcium carbonate (limestone)
Process operation pattern:
- Calcium carbonate (limestone) is heated in a kiln to obtain calcium oxide (lime)
- Calcium oxide is heated with coke to produced calcium carbide
- Calcium carbide is mixed with water to produced calcium hydroxide and acetylene
Equipment details in process flowsheet:
- Generator: It operates at 60oC temperature. Water continuously allowed from top section and calcium carbide at the bottom through screw conveyor. They are mixed gradually by a agitator system operation in horizontal position. Acetylene produced during the reaction as gas form and passed out from top outlet pipes.
- Cooler condenser: Carried over moisture is removed by cooling the acetylene gas produced from the generator. Approximately 2% percent of moisture present in the liquid form removed from liquid traps. Condenser constructed with carbon steel material to with the corrosive nature of gases.
- Pressure drier: It is column filled with anhydrous calcium chloride to absorb the water in the gas.
- Purifier: It removes H2S and Phosgene gases.
- Scrubber: Ammonia acts as good scrubbing agent to remove water-soluble impurities.
- Compressor and Acetone pump: To increase the pressure for filling the acetylene gas into cylinders.
Process flowsheet of acetylene production from limestone:
Other process options:
From methane/ natural gas